The Stewarts live at Booyong on land originally part of a squatters run of 19, 200 acres in 1881. Isaac and Anne Stewart joined the migration from the South Coast of NSW to the Big Scrub, selecting 640 acres of dense cedar scrub to the West of Wilson’s Creek where they established a dairy. The land was first divided between Isaac and Anne’s sons when Isaac died. Their Great Grandson David Stewart and his partner Gertrude continued the dairy, milking up to 80 cows and growing corn with their neighbour. When the dairy industry declined Dave opened a hardware store in Bangalow and continued to operate a small orchard and apiary. The dairy and bails are now a ceramic workshop operated by his son John who lives on a subdivision of the original property with his partner Leonie. They are both practicing artists, John working off-farm at TAFE until recently, and Leonie teaches digital art and design at Southern Cross University. They continue to farm with a small orchard of finger limes which are native to the region.
See more of the property