Nimbin Valley Dairy
Nimbin Valley Dairy is a short drive east from Nimbin, on Tuntable Falls road. After being run as a cow dairy for most of the twentieth century by the Couch family, the land is now home to a goat dairy which produces cheese and milk on site.
The first selection of this land was 640acres (259hectares) along Tuntable Creek. In 1883 it was selected by James Murphy, but he died that same year. It appears to have been willed to Patrick Hogan, who occupied the land for some time and concerned himself with felling the heavy timber that covered the area. However, Hogan was never able to have the conditional purchase confirmed in his name, and in 1904 it was available for selection again, this time to retiring premier of New South Wales, Sir John See. Again, the selector died soon after taking up the land, but this time arrangements had been made and the land was inherited and then divided and eventually sold on. It was at this time that James Andrew Couch and family, from the Wollongong area, heard that good dairying land was available in the area. In 1918 they purchased the 160 acres (64 hectares) that remained of portion 11 of the parish of Terania.
Roly and Fay Couch tell the story of this family farm and Paul Wilson explains the more recent changes. More detail can also be found in the historical records related to the property.
See more of the property