Carol and Dudley Legget bought the property that would become the multiple occupancy of Dharmananda in 1972. While this was well before the legal concept of community title which emerged after 1984, their intent from the beginning was to foster the creation of a self-sustaining community on the land. It is steep country with only a few flat areas that today produce the vegetable gardens and pasture for the cows that provide all the residents with their daily requirements. Only extras such as tea, coffee and certain condiments are purchased off the property. During the 1950s and 60s the property had passed through a few hands during the downturn of the dairy, cattle and banana industries, all of which had been farmed on the property. Passion fruit had also been grown. Weed problems and poisoned soils were legacies of some of the past farming practices and neglect. It had originally been selected by James Tainsh in 1904, members of the family remaining in the Channon district. Today the community includes families, couples and single people with a busy WWOOFer program where all adults participate in the food production.
More detailed information can be found in Leigh Davison’s Story, Ray Flanagan, Leigh Davidson, Carol Perry & JJ Bruce’s Stories, and the historical documents related to the property as well as in the video presentation below.
See more of the property